We’re heading under the sink today – or wherever you keep your CLEANING SUPPLIES and DISH TOWELS!
A few years ago, I used to have at least one cleaning product for every surface of our house. I’m not joking! I honestly believed that I needed Floor Cleaner, Kitchen Cleaner, Bathroom Cleaner, Handy Andy, Jik, Domestos, Stainless Steel Polish, Sunlight Liquid, Furniture Polish, Wooden Floor Cleaner, Carpet Stain Remover, and Window Cleaner – it was a massive amount of products to both buy AND store every month. And then, I sat next to the most wonderful lady while getting my nails done, who completely changed my thinking and helped me narrow down my list of products!
As a result, we now use Sunlight Liquid to clean our floors (if it gets the toughest grease off pans, it can clean my floor), Handy Andy, bleach, a furniture polishing mitt and vinegar. That’s it! So much less to buy every month without a single area of our house suffering as a result!
That being said, our cupboard under the sink was still looking a little grim, to be honest – time to whip everything out, give it a clean, and put items back in a way that made sense.
The biggest changes involved:
- Placing cleaning products that are used daily in a handy caddy that can be carried from room to room:
- Storing dishwashing tablets in a clear container so that I can see at a glance when I am running low:
Future projects that will help us use the space better:
- Install a tension rod on which to hang spray bottles – something similar to this:
- Buy clear perspex boxes in which to house smaller items such as cleaning cloths, sponges, pot scourers and clean dish towels, like these here:
- Mount bin liners and black garbage bags on the side of the shelf – so clever:
- Find a better way to store empty shopping bags – two methods I quite like:
At the very least – subtract, subtract, subtract!
Until tomorrow – keep warm!