I’m not sure if you are going to love me or hate me after today, but this AMAZING recipe from Gimme Delicious Food is so simple that I just had to share it with you! This icy weather is a great excuse to indulge in some steaming cinnamon rolls fresh out the oven, and this clever rising technique means that you can have them on your plate in under an hour. Plus, they would make the ideal treat for Father’s Day. Or any day really. Like today.
Stephen is convinced that I should add raisins, which I probably WILL do on Father’s Day because technically it is his day (grumble grumble) – but personally, I love them exactly the way they are. I’ll never buy shop-bought again (unless it’s an emergency. Or a Thursday.)
- 2 and ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons castor sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package instant yeast (1 packet = 2 and ¼ teaspoons)
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup (57g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tablespoons milk or coffee
- To Make dough: In a large bowl – mix the flour, sugar, salt and yeast together until evenly dispersed. Set aside. In a small microwavable bowl, heat the water, milk, and butter together in the microwave until the butter is melted (about 30-45 seconds). Stir the butter mixture into the flour mixture. Add the egg and knead by hand or with a mixer for 3-4 minutes or until the dough is no longer sticky. Place in a lightly greased bowl and let rest for about 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and turn off just before placing rolls in oven.
- To Make Filling: After the dough has rested for 5 minutes, roll it out in a 15×9 inch rectangle. Spread the softened butter on top. Mix together the cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle it all over the dough. Roll up the dough tightly and cut into 9 (large) even pieces. Place in a lightly greased 22 or 23cm square pan and lightly cover with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
- TURN OFF the oven and place the cinnamon buns in the oven to rise for 20 minutes. Keep the buns in the oven (REMOVE THE FOIL OR PLASTIC) and turn on the oven to 375F/ 180C. Bake the cinnamon rolls for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and top with glaze.
- To make glaze: Mix the powdered sugar, vanilla and 2 Tablespoons milk together until smooth and lump free. Drizzle over warm rolls.